MARIE SETIAWAN: UAFF & Q4J: Action films get discussional

Source: http://mariesetiawan.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/uaff-q4j-action-films-get-discussional/

Last Saturday (07-08-2010) local guerilla filmmaker and good friend Maria Tran held an event: the Urban Action Film Forum, where a number of special guests arrived to join in the festivities and the discussions. Among them were Chris Pang (Tomorrow, When the War Began) and Wang Fei (Shanghai Lady Killer), but the honorary guest of the night was HK director, Antony Szeto whom has graced us with his presence. It was amazing that a small local suburb like Fairfield would be honoured to have Szeto’s company at this forum event, and to have him discuss his experiences in the film industry, especially in regards to the action genre itself.

The event held a number of guest speakers who joined Antony Szeto up on the panel, including:

■Craig Anderson, writer/director/actor of ABC TV series Double the Fist.
■Ali Khadim, local filmmaker and parkour artist of Team 9Lives.
■Warren Coulton, actor/stuntman/director/producer of shorts Yakka Oy! and The Transit, and managing director of Clear Vision Films.
■Igor Breakenback, actor/stuntman/filmmaker of upcoming film Good Luck With That, and managing director of Breakenback Films.
■Peter Castaldi, managing director of distributor Pack Screen.

T-Shirts anyone?
We had our laughs, but we got down to the real nitty-gritty about the action film industry, especially the prevalent (and problematic) lack of such genre films in Australia. In fact, it was the main focal point throughout the night. It did bog me down that action films don’t get any attention or say in the Australian film market, and even if they did, it would never get picked up due to the ever-prevalent ‘gods’ of the industry saying “No! You shall not pass! It’s too stressful!” It reminded me of a short conversation I had with a stranger, and with this night fueling that train of thought, it’s only given me this sense of passion and duty to write and make an action genre film… actually, that’s what I’ve been doing this whole time! I have so many ideas that they haven’t been properly written or typed down yet! What the hell am I thinking?!

But I digress, the fact that Australian funding for an action film is rare, it IS possible! Just have a look at Daybreakers and tell me that it wasn’t Australian-funded. It’s a start, but it’s possible! The decline since the late 1980′s is probably the reason why no one’s even thinking about action genre films in Australia. Perhaps the film industry needs to understand the popularity that action can bring, especially in an international market.

For most of the night, after the discussion forum, everyone mingled. Unfortunately, I had to man the front desk, but that didn’t deter the fact that I sold a number of Q4J tees on the way. At least I was useful for something, right Maria? Thanks goes to Lauren Maher for taking a snapshot of me all on my lonesome that night. And yes, those are her balloons. I know a number of familiar faces had attended the night, if not for the forum then for the media coverage for the night. It was abuzz with life, and probably the most I’ve seen people in the PYT.

After the night, it made me think about where I’ve been going with my writing, and a majority of the writings that I have written or kept in backburner in my head. I will still hold onto them dearly, but there will come a time when I want these stories to be told and made for an audience that’ll appreciate them. If not for the bad-assery laced in it, but for the complexity of story-telling itself. Action is what I’m aiming for, just for now.

At the end of the day, I say: “Good on ya Maria!” Best wishes and heaps of luck on your Quest for Jackie Chan!

… see what I did there?

No comments:

Post a Comment