INTERVIEW: With Beryl Seckington


Today day was a mellow one, it started off with a lot of interstate phone calls and more email outs and finally a meeting with Beryl and Robert Seckington at a local cafe at nearby Central Station, Sydney.

Beryl have been referred to me by Peter Castaldi as a potential candidate for her documentary final trimester assignment on "Researching Australian directors and producers" for her Bachelor of Film Production at SAE College.

She was particularly interested in my project "Quest for Jackie Chan!" as well as my guerrilla tactics and also my opinions on women in the Australian film industry.

I admit, I did feel slightly giddy to be amongst the best of Australian filmmakers such as Jan Chapman, John Winter (producer of "Rabbit Proof Fence"), Jan Kennedy (Australia's first female DOP) and then there was me.

In a nutshell, I think that women in the film industry do have it more tough than their counterparts. There's an intial sense that we have to be "ballsy" and "masculine" about our visions to get our projects up and running.

Sometimes it can both be refreshing to other people, while there are still others whole think that women in the industry are a bit of a joke or a fleeting moment, until we get married, have kids and go to the places we belong.

For me, only recently that I've been a big advocate for women in roles of writers/ producers/ directors in action films and I do hope to see changes in the local industry of Australia. Of course, all changes must start with the person themselves and I do realise the long road of learning that I'd have to embark on if I was serious in the business. But until that happens....

No comments:

Post a Comment