RETROSPECTIVE: Downtown Rumble on ABC/ JTV Australian TV

Oh man...retrospective thinking time!

In late 2008 I recall winning Best Film, People's Choice and Achievement in Directing at the 2008 Shortcuts Film Festival with short film 'Happy Dent".
I recall from that I scored a meeting with one of the honchos of ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). During this meet, I remember slipping in a Rumble Pictures DVD showreel and to my surprise he called out another head producer Josh Reed to examine our products. To my surprise, the next thing you know is the ABC head pitching myself and the Rumble Pictures crew to be commissioned out to make a 6 part series interstitial for ABC/ JTV on Saturdays for 6 weeks.

We had a limited time frame of 2 months from concept to product to come up with something slick and uber low budget, hence we came up with "Downtown Rumble".

I must admit, I think we kind of taken things for granted back then, it may have been hard work, but with the help of Craig Anderson (writer/ director of "Double The Fist") we got our acts together to make the following:
It had good reviews too based on my judgement of the message boards with fans across Australia wanting to see a part 2. But after that, opportunities drained up, and I think we appeared to have hit a ceiling effect of some sort.

Ah... the good times... and that is why my final attempt will be "Quest for Jackie Chan!".

No comments:

Post a Comment