FILM FAMILY: My Dad is So Cheap....


My Dad and his handy skills 

With only 7 days till I start filming my first ever feature film, my whole family have been super supportive as always. Mum is doing her bit spread good word-of-mouth to her customers about my film, my sister is sending me random e-marketing tips, and Dad...making me a no-budget film dolly out of the neighbours junk that he's picked up and dragged back to home garage.

I rocked over to Dad's place to enquire about how to make a dolly and he quickly scurried to the garage and pulled out a whole heap of junk, spanners, measuring tapes and an array of wheels to make me the ultimate film dolly for the epic no-budget venture. You can imagine that professional film dollies are expensive as and with the time I had left, I couldn't afford a couple of grand to splurge on some fancy pants equipment. But I really really want to get these particular shots. There were some scenes that in the movie that I wanted to achieve a particular feel through these cinematic movements. But after seeing Vanna Seang (another film colleague of mine, getting all innovative) I thought, why not call on handy man dad to see if he can do the job.

I have great faith in Dad for building me something cutting-edge (even though it will probably look cheap ass junk) I'm sure it won't undersell in performance (and will be burglar proof, they'll probably mistaken it for some transformer junk kit).

Well, if I got "no-budget" to work with, might as well make the most of it. To date, ICE has agreed to support the movie through their camera gear and lighting loan (EX3 and light panels), Dragon Vision Production (Canon 5D, 7D and sound kit), VSS Studios (Dolly tracks and jibs) and lots of talented cast and crew to ensure that project will be something innovative.

So "no-budget"? Yes! But lots of love!

Signing out,

Maria Tran

No comments:

Post a Comment